This is a sharing platform where volunteers trying to teach can share their teaching methods, resources, tips&tricks.

If you are a volunteer trying to teach, feel free to be inspired and find useful information.
If you want to share, feel free to contact me:
elena.ziegler.ruiz@googlemail.com

I did my volunteer service August 2014-2015 in Malawi.
I was part of the German government program "weltwärts". My organization was Kolping Jugendgemeinschaftsdienste. When people asked me what I was doing in Malawi, I used to answer:

"I am working at a Primary School."
- "Oh, are you a teacher?"
"No, I am trying to teach."

Donnerstag, 1. Oktober 2015

Growing up

(1) Body Changes

group work activity

1. I divide the group by gender: One girls group, one boys group. Each group receives a poster. On the poster we can see the bodies of a girl and a boy.
 
2. Compare the posters. We can distinguish a young girl and a young boy by the sexual organs – vagina and penis. But apart from that, their bodies look very similar. They are still young. The bodies of grown-up women and men do not look that similar anymore: When we grow up, we experience changes on our bodies – girls and boys develop different characteristics, and some changes are also the same.

3. Task for the groups: Please sketch in with a red marker the changes that one experienes on his or her body when he or she grows up.

4. Let´s talk about our work. Boys/Girls, can you show us your poster?
My learners were to shy to draw in all of the changes, so I took the red marker and had them watching me doing the job without mercy.


5. Let´s compare our work. What body changes are the same on our posters?

6. We note down a table chart:

Body changes during adolescence

BOYS
BOTH
GIRLS
Broadening of shoulders
Enlargement of penis and testes
wet dreams
growing of a beard
Deepening of voice
pimples on the face
growing of pubic hair and armpit hair
sweat/perspiration, body odour becomes stronger
Hips getting wider and more round
Breasts begin to grow
Beginning of menstruation (bleeding about every 4th week because of a hormonal cycle)

(2) The mysterious pink jumbo bag

"Today I have brought you my mysterious pink jumbo bag! Now I need a brave volunteer… Who wants to come in front and pick something out of my pink jumbo bag?
I want to make shure that you don’t see what you chose, so we will cover your eyes. Now put your hand into the mysterious pink jumbo bag and grab something. Show it to the class. Look at it. What is it? Can you tell me what the use of it is? What can we use it for? What does this have to do with body changes during adolescence?"


Useful thing

Use


Cleaning soap
To fight pimples

Deodorant
To fight the smell of strong sweat
(my learners were very delighted that I allowed each of them to try out a little spray)

Razor blade
To shave beard, pubic and armpit hair

Sanitary towel
Used to catch the blood during menstruation

Condom
Adolescents develop interest in sex. Protect yourself against various infections (HIV is only one example) and prevent an unwanted pregnancy.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen